Thacher’s leaders pioneered the monitoring of construction projects in the 1980s in order to thwart fraud and corruption for New York’s Construction Industry Strike Force. K2 Intelligence builds on Thacher’s more than 30 years of public and private sector experience and the strategies developed to prevent, detect, and remediate fraud and corruption. These techniques have been adapted to the management of other industry risks, including waste, mismanagement, and regulatory requirements. Our goal is always to anticipate problems rather than merely react to them. When problems do arise, we can detect them in real time, enabling our clients to make recoveries quickly, rather than years later through lawsuits.
We specialize in four areas: integrity monitoring, integrity and regulatory compliance solutions, due diligence, and litigation support. Our deep bench allows us to scale up as needed to meet your requirements, regardless of an engagement’s size, complexity, or sensitivity. The result: Protection of your organization’s work, its capital, and its most important asset, its reputation.
Our breadth and depth of experience enables our team to go beyond fact-finding, to read between the lines and anticipate where problems are likely to arise. They know the schemes that typically result in cost-overruns and overcharging, the potential problems in contracts, and the likely pitfalls for regulatory compliance.
We also have the enormous network of relationships that comes with that experience. We can tap into that network to support a claim or vet a firm. Our network includes company owners and executives, labor leaders, regulators, law enforcement officials, academics and people in the media.
We take a multidisciplinary approach. The disciplines work together, by design, as our professionals feed their teammates leads, focus their efforts, and follow up on their findings. Other firms might contract these specialists on an as-needed basis. At K2 Intelligence, they work side by side in integrated teams.
Our client-tailored teams are composed of experts from six areas as needed:
- Forensic engineers who understand the complexities of today’s construction methods and materials and can conduct interviews to uncover problems and gather evidence.
- Forensic accountants who specialize in construction and have decades-old relationships with professionals at regulatory and law enforcement agencies.
- Attorneys with experience as prosecutors or inspectors general or in other government roles.
- Investigators who are in the field day in and day out, acquiring information from the people they encounter there and building relationships with them.
- Research analysts who cast a wider net by employing their expertise in electronic information sources, both proprietary and third-party.
- Loss-prevention specialists who know how to identify where the risks lie and how to build business-friendly controls that prevent these risks from leading to problems.
We leverage innovative technologies. Sophisticated Information systems enable us to deliver services effectively and efficiently. Data analysis software, for example, automates auditing of payroll information for violations of prevailing wage laws. And it does it in real-time, week to week, uncovering problems as you go rather than after the fact. Video surveillance systems provide 24/7, real-time monitoring of construction sites, at our operations center and on your mobile device.