The security posture of high-net-worth families is far too often a patchwork of one-off solutions implemented in reaction to individual threats, usually after the fact. In the absence of an overall strategy, these piecemeal efforts largely ignore both the complexities of a large family enterprise and the proliferation of threats that might exploit those complexities. As families face a growing variety of sophisticated threats—cyber crime, privacy violations, fraud, extortion, even physical force—a broader perspective and a holistic approach are clearly called for.
A Global Approach
K2 Intelligence looks at family security as a single problem with many interdependent parts. Through a combination of sophisticated technology, investigative expertise, and an unmatched international network of contacts and resources, we address the security needs of the family as a whole.
Our clients understand they are at risk. Most maintain multiple residences, elaborate travel schedules, valuable investments, and countless personal and other network-connected (IoT) devices—all attractive targets. They rely on us to help them think through their risk reduction strategy well in advance of any incident.
To that end, we work to identify vulnerabilities and suggest remedies across the entire family circle, as well as across the many employees, contractors, vendors, and retainers they engage. Tailoring our services to each client’s unique needs, we minimize the chances of mischief entering that circle.
While our methods are both thorough and rigorous, we take great care not to disrupt family dynamics or foster a fortress-like mentality. Our aim, rather, is to raise consciousness of security issues within the family circle, and to devise practical strategies for avoiding harm and mitigating risk.
Proven Risk Assessment Services
We bring a wide range of advanced methodologies to bear on family security. We analyze weak spots and arrive at a set of concrete recommendations for closing gaps, modifying behaviors, and reducing overall risk:
- Physical Security Assessment: Using techniques adapted from our work for corporate campuses and government facilities, we assess our clients’ private residences with an eye towards preserving privacy and protecting confidential information. We develop tailored processes and controls aimed at bolstering physical protections and reducing threat risk.
- Cybersecurity Assessment: We conduct a holistic review of all home and personal devices, securing all wireless access points, connected IoT devices, and online accounts. We work with each family member to strengthen security and privacy settings, instill best practices, and train for rapid and effective incident response.
- Privacy Assessment: We monitor and analyze a vast array of online sources—databases, social media, blogs, the deep web, the dark web, and more—from which we create a comprehensive snapshot of the family’s entire digital footprint, with particular attention paid to personally identifiable information (PII). We risk-score our findings, recommend behavior changes, and, when advisable, work to have personal details removed from websites where they don’t belong.
Interviewing for Threat Assessment
In day-long interview sessions at the client’s primary residence, we enlist each family member’s help in preparing for the threats they might one day have to face. Areas of focus include:
- Points of Vulnerability: We work with family members to reveal where they are most vulnerable to attack, and we outline the likely adverse impact of those attacks should they occur. We assess the full range of potential threats and create an overall risk management program to mitigate them.
- Family Operations and Processes: We evaluate the family’s operational structure to determine the adequacy of processes currently in place. We examine business relationships with employees, vendors, and professional service firms, and bring new rigor to the drawing up of contracts, nondisclosure agreements, and data protection agreements.
- Due Diligence Management: The vetting of the family’s inner circle—which often includes employees, vendors, and other third parties—is of paramount importance to the family’s overall security. We develop a custom program to manage third-party risk, allowing clients to make sound hiring and sourcing decisions.
- Travel Security: Extensive travel, especially international travel, brings its own security concerns, which is why we ensure that the family has reliable access to advance and in-trip intelligence, as well as well-vetted transportation and accommodations. We team up with local security firms to locate safe havens, identify medical resources, and plan for evacuation in case of disaster or unrest. If needed, we also provide personal security.
- Private Collection Risk Management: Families with valuable private collections—art, antiquities, collectibles, wine—are at special risk for fraud and theft. Our unique team helps them investigate and evaluate the title and provenance of a piece before it is acquired, and we assess ongoing arrangements for its safe storage, display, and transport.
All our methods and processes serve not just to strengthen the defenses of high-profile and high-net-worth families, but also to raise awareness of security concerns within the family circle. Given the range and potential severity of the threats being faced, this heightened awareness can be crucial to avoiding significant and often permanent damage to finances, reputations, and physical well-being.