K2 Intelligence acts as advisors to governments, companies, and high-net-worth individuals; our clients frequently include public entities and private companies in a variety of sectors, including energy, mining, real estate and construction, education, and technology, as well as hedge funds and private equity firms, law firms, financial institutions, and private and sovereign clients seeking to recover assets.
Investigations and Disputes
- K2 Intelligence completed a forensic investigation on behalf of the International Boxing Association (AIBA), the worldwide governing body for the sport of boxing. Our investigation covered the management of both AIBA’s and the World Series of Boxing’s (WSB) finances. K2 Intelligence was also mandated to investigate financial issues and allegations of mismanagement related to the former AIBA president’s office.
- K2 Intelligence was selected by New York’s Empire State Development Corporation as the integrity monitor for the Javits Center Expansion and Moynihan Train Hall projects, a five-year assignment to protect New York State’s investments of more than $3 billion. As the integrity monitor for these two iconic New York City projects, K2 Intelligence will assist in providing necessary payment and compliance oversight as well as construction monitoring.
- We provided data analytics litigation support to Irving H. Picard, the SIPA Trustee for the liquidation of Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC (BLMIS), as well as for court-appointed counsel. We utilized cutting-edge technology and investigative analysis to help maximize the recovery of funds to be distributed to the victims of the fraud, and compensation for losses from this unprecedented Ponzi scheme.
- In a joint effort between K2 Intelligence’s Investigations and Disputes practice and its Cyber Defense practice, we worked with a law firm to provide data breach litigation support in a multidistrict class action accusing one of the country’s largest health insurers of failing to properly encrypt its data and prevent a massive data breach affecting 80 million people.
- The Association of National Advertisers (ANA) turned to K2 Intelligence to help shed light on certain non-transparent practices in the U.S. media-buying marketplace. The K2 Intelligence study, publicly released 7 June 2016, detailed evidence of the existence of non-transparent business practices, including cash rebates to media agencies, in a sample of the U.S. media ad-buying ecosystem. Within that sample, such practices were found to be pervasive, with senior agency executives being aware of, and even mandating, some non-transparent business practices.
- We have conducted ground-breaking investigative work to help uncover gun sellers illegally engaging in business without a license for Everytown for Gun Safety, a movement of Americans working together to end gun violence and build safer communities.
- The Moreland Commission to Investigate Public Corruption tapped us to assist it in the investigative effort to probe systemic corruption and the appearance of such corruption in state government, political campaigns, and elections in New York State.
- We led the first large-scale deployment of project oversight integrity monitors in a disaster recovery setting. At Ground Zero, our integrity monitors were engaged by the City of New York and were involved at every phase of the World Trade Center recovery effort, from contract award to on-site activity.
- The retail and commercial bank of a global financial group engaged us to conduct an investigation into apparent related-party transactions. We were later asked to broaden the scope of the investigation to include an internal forensic investigation focused on the details of related-party transactions of officers, directors, and significant shareholders. We also investigated the existence of potential conflicts of interest associated with certain portions of the business; the existence of potential misuse of corporate resources by certain key officer; and the existence of a culture of noncompliance at the institution.
- K2 Intelligence provides due diligence and risk intelligence services for the world’s largest technology investment fund to evaluate potential investments for their multibillion-dollar, global portfolio, which includes cutting-edge industries such as robotics and artificial intelligence. Our team also works with the fund to create a consistent risk evaluation and management infrastructure for their portfolio of their ongoing investments.
- K2 Intelligence currently provides business intelligence support to one of world’s largest sovereign wealth funds and its globally based portfolio companies, on engagements connected to pre-investment due diligence, partner due diligence, and senior executive profiling, enabling our client to have more leverage in deal negotiation and achieve optimal investment outcomes.
- K2 Intelligence conducted an independent investigation on behalf of a leading university in the United States into a range of suspicious donations related to the college admissions scandal known as “Varsity Blues.” K2 Intelligence’s multidisciplinary team conducted a thorough and targeted investigations consisting of forensic review and analysis of university data and electronic devices, review of relevant records documentation, and forensic investigation into the financial records and processes within the university, especially as they related to donations and distributions of funds to the athletic departments. Our findings were presented to the board of trustees and were included in a report that was voluntarily presented to the authorities. Based on the findings, we made recommendations to the University pertaining to its policies and procedures in order to tighten the controls over the admissions process.
- On behalf of a major professional sports league, K2 Intelligence conducted due diligence and background investigations of a syndicate of investors looking to purchase a professional sports team. Based on our team’s findings, several of the syndicate investors were removed from the eventual purchase.
- K2 Intelligence conducted an investigation for a major pharmaceutical and life sciences company into the manufacture and distribution of counterfeit surgical sutures. The investigation spanned three continents and ultimately led to India where, in collaboration with local law enforcement, our team uncovered and shut down the manufacturing of the counterfeit product and worked with local authorities to have the perpetrators arrested and sanctioned.
- K2 Intelligence was hired by high-profile individuals and executives to investigate and identify the perpetrator of an impersonation scam, known in the media as the “Con Queen of Hollywood.” The impersonation scam includes luring entertainment industry professionals, such as make-up artists and hairdressers, photographers, and stunt professionals, to Indonesia under the false pretense of scouting potential projects and convincing them to pay all travel and on-the-ground expenses to local drivers and other intermediaries.
- K2 Intelligence was retained by the prosecutor general of the anticorruption agency of an Asian country to conduct an asset trace and recovery investigation focused on high-ranking members of the two former presidential administrations suspected of selling off state assets for inadequate sums and benefiting from the sales through the receipt of kick-backs. To date, our globally based team of investigators has located approximately $150 million worth of assets across several foreign jurisdictions held by the former administration officials through proxies. The team also worked in collaboration with local authorities in the various countries to freeze and repatriate the assets to back to the home country.
- K2 Intelligence was engaged by a large U.S. company to review and update the anti-bribery/anti-corruption policies and procedures in place at one of the company’s overseas subsidiaries. In the course of the review, the K2 Intelligence team identified indications of possible corruption, leading to an internal anti-bribery/anti-corruption investigation performed at the direction of and in coordination with the company’s in-house and external counsel. The investigation ultimately included dozens of on-site interviews, document review, and review of electronic communications among key employees. Since the conclusion of the investigation, K2 Intelligence has performed annual anti-bribery/anti-corruption reviews to monitor improvements in the subsidiary’s policies, procedures, and internal controls—including third-party due diligence, procurement, and third-party contracts—as well as status of implementing K2 Intelligence’s recommended remedial measures.
- We conduct due diligence on behalf of some of the world’s largest asset management firms, including hedge funds, private equity firms and sovereign wealth funds, investigating and assessing investment opportunities and their related legal, reputational, and political risks across a variety of industry sectors including technology, healthcare, real estate, sports and entertainment, consumer goods, and manufacturing, among others.