Terror attacks around the world have made security and preparedness issues major concerns for executives in both the public and private sector, heightening demand for an approach to managing security risk that incorporates the full range of risk mitigation capabilities—physical security and protection, site and security risk assessments, crisis planning and emergency preparedness, business continuity planning, and cyber defense. Our Strategic Risk and Security practice delivers the personnel, assets, and high-level strategic insight clients need to confront ever-evolving threats—including political risk advisory services tailored to the needs of boards of directors and the C suite. Our practice is led by former NYPD Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly, a leading authority on risk management with decades of experience setting strategy to combat the threats faced by governments and enterprises at home and abroad.
Our services include:
- Comprehensive Security Risk Assessments: We examine threats, vulnerabilities, and potential impacts in order to understand the true range of risks facing an organization. This type of assessment looks at current capabilities and can also look at future states based on expansion plans. These assessments can encompass the full range of threats, including intentional malevolent acts such as crime and terrorism, accidents, and natural disasters, or can be focused on one type of threat. We identify areas of vulnerability and provide specific recommendations for improvement. We develop strategic, holistic solutions that often feature layered, integrated risk mitigation measures.
- Site Security Assessment: We evaluate physical, electronic, and operational security at client facilities based on site visits and interviews with key facility personnel. This type of assessment identifies specific vulnerabilities and provides recommendations for mitigation in areas such as facility design and layout, access control measures and devices, visitor reception and screening, video surveillance systems, and security staffing models among others.
- Site Selection and Security Strategy Development: Security is often only considered long after the location and design for a new facility has been selected. We have found that this results in security that is less effective, less integrated, and more costly. We highly recommend consulting with a security professional early in the site selection and design process for significant new facilities. The K2 Intelligence team has extensive experience in this area, having worked on some of the most significant real estate development projects in New York City.
- Business Continuity Plan Development and Review: Given the range of threats and risks organizations face today, the possibility of business interruption is very real and ever-present. We work with organizations to identify critical assets and understand which systems and processes need to be maintained or quickly restored for the organization to keep operating. We can help create a business continuity plan or can review and evaluate existing plans and provide recommendations for improvement.
- Crisis Management and Emergency Response Plans: When catastrophe strikes an organization or facility, life safety becomes the primary concern. Inadequate emergency response planning and training can expose an organization to liability claims when people are injured. We work with organizations to create and improve response plans to a range of potential scenarios that can impact the work place, including suspicious persons and packages, active shooter situations, bomb threats, medical emergencies, and natural disasters. We also work with senior management to create and improve crisis management planning, taking into consideration internal and external communication strategies as well as fiscal, legal, and human resources considerations.
- Cybersecurity Reviews and Penetration Testing: From assessments of current policies, procedures, and network architecture to tabletop exercises, from employee training to social engineering and vulnerability assessments, our team has the tools and research capabilities to help clients stay ahead of cyber attackers before a breach occurs.
- Threat Monitoring and Analysis: We document incoming threats received across all modes of communication, analyze threats from social media and the dark web, and deploy proprietary computer network sensors to enumerate and uncover issues present in the network—and then fuse that diverse threat intelligence into actionable insight and recommended countermeasures.
- Travel Risk Management: We provide risk-based travel advice and pre-travel briefing services in order to help business executives make informed decisions regarding foreign travel and to help them maintain their safety and security when abroad. Our team of political analysts works with our global network of contacts to provide our clients with destination intelligence. We also establish a crisis management plan prior to departure that ensures our clients know how to seek safety and who to contact for emergency medical attention and emergency evacuation in the event of a natural disaster or political unrest.
- Executive Protection: We provide experienced chauffeur and protection services for executives. We also offer personal threat assessment and residential security assessment services for key personnel and high-net-worth individuals.